I'm committing to buy only Made in the USA products for an entire year - or explain why I didn't. Follow my progress by following my blog - and join me if you like. Let's work to put America back to work!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wow

It's been an exciting week - difficult to say the least but heartening as well.  While shopping has turned into a much longer process than I ever imagined (checking every label does take time!), I'm also excited to see all the groups on Facebook and all the Made in the USA websites supporting American products and American workers.

One thing I've noticed this past week is that I'm really buying less now.  That's really a good thing because I'm making wiser choices and taking my time to consider every purchase.  I not only think it's important to support US workers and buy US products, I also think it is important to consider our Earth and our environment and I do try to buy earth-friendly products when I can --

And that brings up another point for me -- finding made in the USA products is difficult -- finding made in the USA organic and earth friendly products is even more difficult -- I truly never realized how much organic produce is imported - It's shocking actually.

You would also think that with the awareness of "buy local" that you could count on the local products you buy being produced locally?  Right?  Be aware that just because a business is promoting "buy local" doesn't mean that business is getting all of its products locally - you may be buying from a local merchant who is only selling imported products.

Also be aware of local crafts - I was admiring some decorative wooden spoons in a local shop yesterday - the spoons had been decorated by hand my a local artist - they were very beautiful BUT the spoons themselves were cheap imported wooden spoons - I guess I question if that's really supporting USA made products - What do you think?  Certainly the local artist created some beautiful work - but wouldn't it be awesome if that person was taking the time to find USA made products to work with?

That said - I am an artist - I do wood carving and painting.  Carving isn't the problem -- my carving tools are all made in the USA - and I only use "found" wood in my carving.  However the painting is another issue - finding good quality artist canvas made in the USA has been a challenge -- but thanks to some wonderful folks on Facebook I have located some -- I had found acrylic paints made in the USA some time ago and am thrilled to now be able to use USA made canvas as well.

We can all do our parts - just one little step at a time.  Buy USA today - save an American job!

No comments:

Post a Comment